- This event has passed.
Animal Enrichment Day
July 20 | 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Enrichment is an important part of animal welfare, keeping animals in human care mentally and physicall stimulated on a daily basis. Enrichment means giving animals the opportunities and the tools to stimulate their natural behaviors and keep them engaged.
In celebration of National Zoo Keeper Week, our keepers have designated Friday, July 20, 2018 as Enrichment Day, a day when we celebrate all the ways that enrichment and training positively impact our animals’ lives.
Activities will include foraging stations where guests can try to find hidden treats, enrichment stations displaying some of the objects we give to our animals and opportunities to help make enrichment items. Look for our table where you can donate an enrichment item or a monetary contribution to enrichment to be entered in a raffle for a piece of animal art.
Donate to our Enrichment Wish List and BE ENTERED TO WIN a painting by one of our animals!
Enrichment Wish List — New, unused items only, please!
- Suet feeders — all sizes
- Slow feeder dog dishes
- Scents and seasongs, eg. peppermint, almond, vanilla, cat nip, cinnamon, basil.
- Exo Terra rock dishes — all sizes (PetSmart or Petco)
- Exo Terra log hides — all sizes (PetSmart or Petco)
- Boomer Balls (boomerball.com)
- Gift cards to PetSmart, Petco, Amazon, Wegmans, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
- Kongs — all sizes
- Bird/parrot toys
- Cereal — low sugar such as Cheerios, Rice Chex, Quaker Oatmeal Squares, etc.
- Unsalted nuts (only in a sealed container, no bulk items please)
- All natural nut butters
- Low or no sugar applesauce or fruit cups (no syrup)
- Dried fruit (sealed, no bulk please)
- Canned corn
- Canned pumpkin
- Canned tuna
- Chicken or beef broth
- Popcorn (non-microwave)
- Baby food
- Low sugar juice (all natural)